Monday, February 13, 2012

A Little Project

We're still working steadily on our home improvement projects in preparation for the new baby!  We've torn apart the closet that's going to become our "office":


Yikes at some of those holes!  The wood that held the shelves in place was put in with FOUR INCH nails!  Through plaster and masonry.  Ryan's parents are coming this weekend so with any luck his dad will help out a lot with this job.

We're also working on emptying out the current office and finding new homes for all the random stuff that landed there.  This is what I finished today:


I didn't take a before picture, but the wall was a darker green that I regretted as soon as I had painted it before.  Now it matches.  Our wedding photos were there.  They have not yet been rehung, but they'll probably just go on the other side of the hall. The bookcase was in that bedroom, crammed full of miscellaneous books and knick-knacks from Ryan's childhood.  (NB:  I feel that "random" is overused.  Bring back miscellany!)  Now many of them are being given away, some, such as our high school yearbooks, have been unceremoniously dumped in the basement, and the rest of them are still on the shelf, but much much fewer of them and attractively arranged.

The curtain conceals our towels, sheets, and surplus toiletry items, since we have nowhere to store them in the bathroom.  I'm really pleased with how that curtain turned out.  It's made from a sheet that I picked up at Goodwill awhile back just because I liked it.  It was meant to be, because the green of the print matches the paint color exactly.


Total project cost for fabric, lace trim, and tension rod: $15.  And I have enough of the sheet left to make a matching cafe curtain for the stair window!  (The valance was a Goodwill find as well.)


Here's something useful to know:  If you go to Joann.com, then click "Store Locator" at the bottom of the page, then "More Store Information," for any location, a button to print off a coupon for 40% any regular price item will pop up.  There seems to be no limit to how many times you can print it, but you can only use one coupon per transaction.

A happy Valentine's Day to everyone tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I did that to my pantry. I know how to fix it. 20 minute sheetrock + some wire mesh and lots of patience. I have the tools for it, too.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to do a similar curtain for the cubby in our kitchen where we keep our microwave, tupperware, and miscellaneous ( :) ) pie plates etc. One of the many things that I will have time to do only once I'm out of grad school ...

    ReplyDelete